ENABLING EMPLOYMENT PLEDGE
The President’s Challenge advocates for employers to empower persons with disabilities so that they can achieve their full potential.
For persons with disabilities, employment helps in their social inclusion, personal development, financial independence and overall well-being. For employers, this is an excellent opportunity to tap on the pool of talent, skills and experience from the community of persons with disabilities. The employment of persons with disabilities will also inject positive workplace diversity within the organisation.
Persons with disabilities deserve the opportunity to show their capabilities, but too often, only their disability is noticed at first. They face challenges when it comes to employment, job retention and career development. Those who gain employment sometimes end up in limited categories of work or have fewer career advancement opportunities when they can actually be just as capable as their peers, with the right accommodations.
Therefore, my support as an employer is important in this national movement to build a caring and inclusive Singapore, where differences in abilities are valued and embraced..
By signing this Pledge, I reaffirm my commitment to:
Adopt an inclusive mindset towards employees with disabilities
- Recognise that employees with disabilities are capable of contributing and bringing value as all other employees do
- Create a work culture that welcomes and respects employees with disabilities
- Treat employees with disabilities fairly and with dignity
- Enable employees with disabilities to have access to information, activities and opportunities at work like the other employees
Create barrier-free workplace environments
- Create a conducive workplace that is non-discriminatory, safe and friendly to employees with disabilities
- Ensure that work-related programmes and facilities are accessible to employees with disabilities
- Embrace innovation and technology as enablers to employability, productivity and independence of employees with disabilities at the workplace
Implement supportive employment policies for employees with disabilities
- Incorporate HR practices such as flexible work arrangements, assistive technologies, fair remuneration and career development, that encourage hiring and retention of persons with disabilities
- Explore adjustments or redesign job roles or work processes to enable employees with disabilities to showcase and develop their strengths and capabilities
- Leverage available resources and support (both internal and external) for employers to hire and train persons with disabilities
- Help employees with disabilities transition smoothly from school/training to work, and help them to upgrade and embark on lifelong learning
- Exchange best practices with other employers on how to better support employees with disabilities.
Pledge your inclusive support here